37: Too Fat, Too Thin, or Just Right?
Forty-five percent of dogs are overweight. Is yours?
This week, Julie and Colleen talk about some common reasons that dogs are overweight and share some strategies for bringing your dog’s weight into balance.
Are you not sure if your dog is the right weight? One way to tell is to feel your dog’s ribs and compare them to the bones in your hand. Colleen tried to explain it using only words in the podcast, but if you are a visual learner (like she is), here’s a video:
- PetMD list of dog breeds and life expectancy
- Whole Dog Journal publishes an annual review of dog foods for subscribers
- Listen to episode 9 and episode 33 for more about intelligence toys and fun ways to feed your dog
- Check out lamb lung, a delicious, low-calorie training treat
- Julie’s blog on food: Food, glorious food!
- Julie’s blog on obesity in dogs: Exercise can be your dog’s best friend.
- For more information on pet obesity and what you can do: Association for Pet Obesity Prevention