56: Invisible Fences & Electronic Collars
Dr. Leslie Sinn, a board-certified veterinary behaviorist, joined Julie Fudge Smith and Colleen Pelar to talk about hidden dangers of invisible fences and shock collars.
- Dr. Sinn’s practice, Behavior Solutions for Pets
- The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviorists (AVSAB) position statements on dominance and punishment.
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA) article, Escape rates and biting histories of dogs confined to their owner’s property through the use of various containment methods
- Julie’s blog post, Electronic Fences: What The Manufacturers Don’t Tell You.
- For Ohio residents needing behavior assistance, contact: The Ohio State University Veterinary Behavioral Medicine
- Dr. Zazie Todd’s blog on the effectiveness of various fences: Escaping Dogs: Some Fences are Better Than Others (she references in detail the OSU study on fences).
- Related episodes: